When to call 9-1-1:
There are four reasons to call 9-1-1: To get help for someone who is hurt or very sick. If you smell smoke or see a fire and your community has a fire department. If you see someone stealing something or hurting someone. If you need emergency help fast for any reason.
REMEMBER - DON'T CALL 9-1-1 JUST TO SEE IF IT WORKS.
THIS NUMBER IS FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY.
How to make an emergency call to 9-1-1:
- Stay calm. Don't get excited. Take a deep breath.
- Dial 9-1-1 right away Don't wait for someone else to make the call.
- Tell the person who answers the phone exactly what is wrong, like this:
"...my house is on fire..."
"...there just was a car accident outside my house..."
"...someone fell off a ladder and can't move..."
"...there's someone trying to break into my house..."
- Tell them the exact address where the emergency is - be sure to give the FULL address, including your apartment number if you live in an apartment.
- Tell them the phone number you are calling from. (If you are not at the same address as the emergency, tell them the address where you are.)
- Tell them your name
DON'T HANG UP until the person on the telephone tells you to. They may need to ask you more questions to help the fire, police or ambulance find you. They will also tell you what to do until help arrives.
Is Your House Number Clearly Visible?
KEEP THIS INFORMATION BY YOUR PHONE
The address here is:
Nearest Cross Street:
City or Town:
Your telephone number here is: