- What type of work requires a permit?
- What is required for a permit application?
- How long does it take to obtain a permit?
- Does my permit expire?
- Can I renew my building permit?
- What are the Building Permit Fees?
- When will the inspector be in my area?
1. What type of work requires a permit?
- Construct a new home
- Construct a new accessory building such as a garage or storage shed greater than 20 square metres (215 square feet) insize
- Construct a new accessory building greater than 55 square metres (592square feet) within AF-1, RL-1, SH-1 or CR-1 zones
- Construct an addition to an existing building or manufactured home
- Construct a commercial, industrial or public use building
- Undertake any interior work such as partitions, etc.
- Construct a sundeck
- Enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck
- Construct a retaining wall more than 1.2 metres (4 feet) in height
- Move a building
- Locate a manufactured home
- Demolish a building
- Change of occupancy or use of a building or part thereof
2. What is required for a permit application?
3. How long does it take to obtain a permit?
Permit applications are received on a first come, first serve basis. We are committed to a maximum 3 week processing time for permits provided you make a complete application. In slow periods these may be processed much faster.
4. Does my permit expire?
Every permit is issued upon the condition that the permit shall expire and the rights of the owner under the permit shall terminate if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within six (6) months or is not completed within three (3) years of the issuance of a permit.
5. Can I renew my permit?
The Building Official may upon expiration of a building permit, grant renewal permits for a period of twelve (12) months each if he or she is satisfied that the construction is progressing at a reasonable rate.
6. What are the building permit fees?
7. When will the Inspector be in my area?