Is your property affected by a Land Use Contract?
LUCs were legally enabled for a brief period from 1972 to 1978 only, under the then Municipal Act, now Local Government Act. Landowners or developers applied for an LUC via a bylaw to create tailor-made regulations for specific lands. This differed from general zones contained in a typical zoning bylaw. Most LUCs are more specific but also more restrictive than zoning. LUCs are registered on a land title and take precedence over zoning or subdivision regulations on that land.
Numerous LUCs were approved by the TNRD Board up until 1979 for a variety of uses including rural, suburban and lakeshore residential subdivisions and commercial and industrial developments. Today, a total of 46 LUCs affecting > 460 properties in the TNRD remain.
In 2014 the Provincial government amended the Local Government Act to effect termination of all LUCs by June 30, 2024. These lands would then revert to zoning land use control. The amendment allows or enables a local government to unilaterally terminate, by bylaw, an LUC prior to 2024. This is done in accordance with the normal development approval procedures for a bylaw amendment. Lands would be removed from the LUC and become subject to Zoning Bylaw No. 2400. The TNRD is currently working on voluntary and early LUC termination projects around the entire Regional District and will continue to work with property owners on the process until 2024.
For more info CLICK below on the 1 page Frequently Asked Questions sheet:
Currently, the following LUCs are proposed to be terminated:
LUC parcels in the Loon/Young/Eagan Lake area:
- Land Use Contract 277 (Loon Lake Rd, Stevens Rd)
- Land Use Contract 461 (Loon Lake Rd)
- Land Use Contract 304 (Eagan Crescent)
- Land Use Contract 464 (East Young Lake Rd)
LUC parcels Black Pines/Heffley Lake area:
- Land Use Contract 83 (Lakeview Dr)
- Land Use Contract 108 (Westsyde Rd)
- Land Use Contract 123 (Westsyde Rd)
LUC parcels in Spences Bridge area:
The following Land Use Contracts have now completed the termination process and have been replaced with zoning. CLICK on the LUC that pertains to your property or your interests:
- Land Use Contract 85 (Martin Rd)
- Land Use Contract 90 (3042 Duck Range Rd)
- Land Use Contract 92 (Martin Prairie Rd, Stark Rd, Kastor Rd)
- Land Use Contract 109 (4642, 4670, 4692, 4712, 4738, 4760 Harrison Rd)
- Land Use Contract 118 (1735 Old Duck Range Rd)
- Land Use Contract 126 & Land Use Contract 281 (Laveau Rd, Martin Creek Rd)
- Land Use Contract 144 (4439, 4457, 4487 Harrison Rd)
- Land Use Contract 190 (4132 Stewart Rd)
- Land Use Contract 485 (4521, 4565 Harrison Rd)
Birch Island area:
- Land Use Contract 255 (2424, 2425, 2436, 2437, 2448, 2449 Lloyd Rd)
- Land Use Contract 257 (2404, 2405, 2409, 2415 Lloyd Rd)
- Land Use Contract 259 (2236 Yellowhead S Hwy No 5, 2425 Holland Rd, 2460, 2461, 2469/2472, 2484/2485, 2493/2492 Lloyd Rd)
- Land Use Contract 503 (1833 Dee Rd)
Lac le Jeune area:
- Land Use Contract 324 (Lac Le Jeune Rd, Marmot Rd, Ridgemont Dr, Pineridge Dr, Osprey Rd)