Zoning Bylaw



The principal tool local government uses to regulate land use is a zoning bylaw. In the TNRD we have one bylaw, Zoning Bylaw No. 2400, that applies to the entirety of the regional district electoral areas. See link below to get to the Zoning bylaw and the one page FAQ that explains how to determine your property zoning.

What's My Zoning?

Zoning Bylaw No. 2400

An application to change or “amend” Zoning Bylaw No. 2400 can:

  1. rezone land from one zone to another [e.g. from residential to industrial zones];
  2. create an exception on a site specific basis to allow a specific use; or
  3. change lot area to enable a subdivision.

Zoning/Official Community Plan FAQ Sheet

Development Application Form

Contaminated Site Regulation Schedule 1, 2 and Waiver

Public Process & Hearing

Under the Local Government Act, adopting land use bylaws such as zoning requires a public consultation or notification process. This may involve the following:

  • notices on our website and/or public notice boards;

  • ads in a local newspaper;

  • if the bylaw is a localized rezoning, then a notification sign is erected on a parcel of land and a notice is mailed to all owner/occupiers of properties within a 100 metre radius; and

  • a public hearing.

See the FAQ Sheet below for information on how to prepare for a hearing and what to expect: 

Public Hearing FAQ Sheet

2020 public hearing FAQ Sheet