To see the final RESIDENTIAL WILDFIRE RECOVERY REPORT report, click here



Geohazard Reports -- Loon Lake and Pressy Lake

As a result of the 2017 Elephant Hill Wildfire, the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development has identified certain properties within TNRD boundaries that are subject to post-wildfire geohazard risks.

Click here to read the reports.

Structures were identified as being susceptible to post-wildfire geohazard risks, including but not limited to sediment transport and erosion due to debris flow, debris flood, rock fall, landslides, floods, and debris slides.

Click here to read the report specific to Loon Lake South (water-access lots).

Click here to read the report pertaining to Loon Lake North and Loon Lake Road.

Click here to read the report pertaining to Lower Bonaparte Valley, Bonaparte Valley along Loon Lake Road, Maiden Creek to Clinton, and Cache Creek area south and east.

You must satisfy yourself as to whether your property is subject to any such risk.

Riparian Assessment Reports -- Loon Lake and Pressy Lake

For the Loon Lake Riparian Report, click here.
For the Loon Lake Streamside Protection and Enhancement Area Setback Table, click here.
For the Pressy Lake Riparian Report, click here.
For the Pressy Lake Streamside Protection and Enhancement Area Setback Table, click here.


As the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) and its residents move from response to recovery after a devastating wildfire season, the TNRD is taking a series of steps to help residents with that recovery process. Most significantly, the TNRD has hired a Recovery Manager to coordinate efforts with property owners who suffered damage or total loss.
In total, more than 210 structures, including cabins, homes, and other buildings, were lost or substantially destroyed in the TNRD during the wildfire incidents over the summer. Twenty additional structures suffered minor damage.

After the wildfires had subsided and residents were allowed to return, the TNRD took immediate steps to help property owners quickly dispose of fire-damaged materials. This included temporarily waiving disposal fees for fridges/freezers and food; coordinating pickup of fridges/freezers; setting up temporary disposal locations for debris; and offering one-on-one assistance to landowners.

Now, the TNRD is looking to help landowners who were adversely affected by the disasters with the recovery process. Considerations that have been discussed by the Board include the possible reduction of or sourcing alternative sources for permit fees, the acceleration of application processing, potential new zoning for “dry cabins” and lobbying the provincial government for relief and Building Code changes.

The Board also supported the hiring of a Recovery Manager, Bob Finley. In the coming weeks, he will reach out individually to residents whose properties were affected by the recent wildfires. His role will be to help guide them through the process of recovery from the wildfires and answer any questions they might have.


Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact for general inquiries and guidance in the property owner/residential recovery process?

Please contact Bob Finley, TNRD Wildfire Recovery Manager, at 250-377-6296

Where do I apply for a building permit?

You can apply at the TNRD office in Kamloops or one of our satellite offices including Cache Creek and Clinton. Click here for a link to the Guide to Building Permits.  If you have questions regarding new building permit information/applications, building requirements, or building code related matters, please contact TNRD Chief Building Inspector, Pat Luscombe or TNRD Building Inspector, Tony Bolton at 250-377-8673.

Click here for the Building Permit application form
Click here for general permit information and handouts
Click here for a Building Department office schedule (satellite offices highlighted in red)

How do I obtain building permit history records or historic building drawings?

Please contact the TNRD Building Clerk at 250-377-8673 or bulding@tnrd.ca. Any available records on file will be scanned and forwarded upon request. The fee is waived for wildfire impacted property owners.

Who do I contact about zoning, setback requirements, riparian areas regulations, floodplain, development permits or land use planning?

Dan Wallace, Planner; or Alex Krause, Manager of Planning Services, can be reached at 250-377-8673.

What is a Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP)?

A qualified environmental professional (QEP) is an applied scientist or technologist who is registered and in good standing with an appropriate B.C. professional organization constituted under an Act. A QEP could be a professional biologist, agrologist, forester, geoscientist, engineer, or technologist. QEPs can prepare riparian area assessment reports in accordance with the Provincial Riparian Areas Regulation and help plan new development that will reduce environmental impact.

Click here for a brochure regarding the Provincial Riparian Areas Regulation (published by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development).

The TNRD Board of Directors is considering having a Riparian Assessment Report prepared for Loon and Pressy Lakes to assist impacted property owners.

Click here for a list of QEPs. Additionally, click here for a list of QEP’s compiled by Vancouver Island University.

What are the floodplain, riparian and lakeshore regulations?

Specific floodplain and riparian setbacks and regulations can be found in Part 4 of TNRD Zoning Bylaw No. 2400. Click here for a direct link to the pertinent section of the Zoning Bylaw. For questions, please contact TNRD Planning Services.

How do I find a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioners (ROWP)?

Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioners perform maintenance, inspection, design and installation of onsite wastewater systems. ROWPs are Authorized Persons as defined by the BC Sewerage System Regulation.

Click here for the ROWP Finder providing authorized services in their respective categories of practice.

  • ROWP Planner – performs site and soil assessment, designs the system, certifies the system construction based on oversight of construction, and creates the extensive documentation required by the Regulation.
  • ROWP Installer – installs or repairs the system as designed and specified by a ROWP Planner.
  • ROWP Maintenance Provider – monitors and maintains the system according to the maintenance plan. Please note: The Sewerage System Regulation requirements for Professional supervision of type 3 or systems with daily design flow >9100 L remain in effect for ASTTBC Maintenance Provider certified to provide services for those systems.
  • ROWP Private Inspector – inspects and provides conclusions about the performance, condition and capacity of existing systems.

Engineers and Geoscientists BC has prepared a list of professional engineers, geoscientists, and licensees undertaking services as professionals under the BC Sewerage System Regulation (Regulation). Click here for the list of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists who are registered as Authorized Persons (ROWP).

What should it cost to have a sewage system installed?

Costs will depend on a number of factors including system type and size. Please contact a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner directly to discuss costs and installation process. Click here for a ROWP Finder or Click here for the list of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists who are registered as Authorized Persons (ROWP).

Is there a list of approved well drillers/water quality testers?

Click here for Registered Water Well Drillers & Well Pump Installers who can advise on cost and process. Registered well drillers and well pump installers are responsible for safe drilling practices and installation of pumps and other works. Well drilling and pump installation is provincially regulated and not subject to TNRD review or approval.

Where can I find information about well water testing and quality?

HealthLink BC provides information on well testing at the following website: Click here

Additionally, you can Click here for a list of Private Well Water Testing Labs approved by the BC Provincial Health Officer.

How do I find a Licensed Residential Builder?

Click here for the Public Registry of Residential Builders. If you are looking for a particular builder, you can search by licence number, company name, or primary contact name. To see who is licensed in your area, enter your location and search for residential builders.

Please note that most builders on the registry are in good standing. The registry also shows persons not in good standing. You can now check the current status of each person on the registry. Only builders in good standing are entitled to call themselves Licensed Residential Builders and to carry on the business of a residential builder in British Columbia.

How do I find a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist?

Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia provides a membership contact directory at the following link: Click here

What is a Development Permit, what is the application cost and how long does it take?

Development Permits (DP) are required prior to development (including construction) for specified areas designated within an Official Community Plan (OCP). DP areas are designated for the protection of the environment, its ecosystems and biological diversity; and for the protection of development from natural hazards. Lands within the Green Lake and Area OCP (including Green and Pressy Lakes) are subject to Development Permit requirements.

The cost for a Development Permit application is $250.00 and takes approximately 3 weeks to complete. *Please note that the TNRD Board of Directors is considering a fee reduction for wildfire and flood impacted property owners.

Approval time is affected by application completeness, accuracy and compliance with other referral agency or regulatory requirements.  For more information and to view a flowchart of the application process click here. For a Development Application Form click here.

What is a manufactured home and what standards are required for a manufactured home?

A Manufactured Home is a dwelling unit that is manufactured to and compliant with the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z-240 MH or CSA A277 MH series of standards and excludes any recreational vehicle. A Building Permit is required prior to the placement of a manufactured home.

Can I reconstruct my dwelling myself?

According to Provincial law, all new residential dwellings in BC must be built by a licensed residential builder or by an owner builder authorized under the Homeowner Protection Act.
To become an owner builder, you must meet all the eligibility criteria. You must also pass an Owner Builder Authorization Exam as part of your overall Owner Builder Authorization application. This is administered by BC Housing. For more information on the exam process, click here.

Where do I get information about electrical permits?

Technical Safety BC (formerly BC Safety Authority) – 1-866-566-7233 https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca