Zoning Bylaw


The principal tool local government uses to regulate land use is a zoning bylaw. In the TNRD we have one bylaw, Zoning Bylaw No. 2400, that applies to the entirety of the regional district electoral areas. See link below to get to the Zoning bylaw and the one page FAQ that explains how to determine your property zoning.

What's My Zoning? Read more about Zoning Bylaw

Other Planning Applications

The TNRD manages a broad miscellany of other land use and development approval processes, including but not limited to: Temporary Commercial/Industrial Use Permits, Manufactured Home Parks, Campgrounds, Liquor Licenses, Special Events and Heritage Conservation applications. The following provides a general summary of other matters we administer. You are best served to contact us for the specifics on each type of application and the correlating process/fee, etc. Read more about Other Planning Applications

Floodplain & Riparian Areas

Floodplain and riparian protection areas typically overlap; thus, the two processes may dovetail. Avoiding development in these areas is the least costly and most expeditious way to proceed. Read more about Floodplain & Riparian Areas

RGS, Long Term Plans & Studies

Supplementing Official Community Plans, the TNRD has various plans, studies and policy documents that provide additional guidance for certain areas or issues. These include the Lakeshore Development Guidelines, the Fringe Areas Policy, the Coquihalla Highway Corridor Planning Study, and the South Thompson Settlement Strategy. Read more about RGS, Long Term Plans & Studies

Official Community Plans

An Official Community Plan (OCP) is a comprehensive statement of goals, objectives and policies to guide decisions on planning and land use management across the lands covered by the Plan. OCPs provide a coordinated action strategy so that property owners, developers and others can evaluate their respective land development plans, undertake projects and make more informed decisions. Read more about Official Community Plans

Variances BOV & DVP

Where a property owner seeks relief or “relaxation” of some land use bylaw requirements, they may apply for either a Board of Variance (BOV) or Development Variance Permit (DVP). These applications may vary certain zoning provisions (e.g. reduce a setback distance) or servicing bylaw requirements (e.g. required well volume); however, they cannot be used to vary a permitted use (e.g. to have several detached dwellings on a parcel) – that is called a “rezoning.” Read more about Variances BOV & DVP


An application to divide an existing parcel into two or more new parcels or an application to adjust parcel boundaries is a “subdivision.”

The approving authority for rural subdivision (that is lands in Electoral Areas) is Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI). Rural subdivision applications must be submitted to your District MoTI or Front Counter BC office. Click here to go to the MoTI website where the process is comprehensively explained. Read more about Subdivision

Development Permits

A Development Permit is a kind of land use “agreement” enabled under s. 920 of the Local Government Act. It is a discretionary approval, meaning it is decided based upon conformance to Official Community Plan (OCP) policy. Development Permits in the TNRD typically pertain to development in environmentally sensitive areas or hazardous conditions, for example, lands adjacent to lakes, streams or wetlands or areas subject to rock fall, erosion, flooding, land slip, avalanche or wildfire.

See the FAQ Sheet below for more detailed information and the application process:

Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR)

Most ALR applications are processed through local government (i.e. TNRD) and then, if approved, they are sent onto the Commission. See the FAQ Sheet below for the process and more information. Read more about Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR)